5.27.2006

A Shock to the System

My left eye has been twitching on and off for the last week and a half.

It's annoying. At first I thought I might have something in it, and that's what was causing the aggravation - later realizing that no matter how many times I flush it out, the problem lies elsewhere.

I mentioned it at a party - a choice topic for any occasion, I know - and someone said I probably had a deficiency in sodium. This makes sense, I responded, as I had given up salting my food over a year ago. There went all that sodium and maybe my body was finally flushed of the tons and tons of salt I would slam into it. Afterall, was it necessary for me to salt my ramen noodles, my eggs, my popcorn? No. My heart thanked me, I'm sure. However, it was brought to my attention that it would be unlikely that I wasn't getting enough sodium in my diet.

Truth.

WebMD was more frightening than helpful. In the past four years, I was able to successfully diagnose a situation with the online helper. This time, WebMD fears I have developed Epilepsy and was having mild seizures. I was, after all, experiencing the phantom smells.

Odd.

My mother thinks it happens to be a potassium deficiency. This makes sense, as I rarely eat fruit - especially bananas [thanks for the spelling lesson, Gwen] - or my leafy greens. My mother suggested picking up the habit, or a bottle of supplements. I may have to agree with my mother.

However, WebMD had never steered me wrong. Be sure to check into CNN in the next few days to see who wins this war.

Another website suggested Blepherospasm was the culprit, which is cause by stress, fatigue, or caffeine. This also may be the strong option. It recommends I flush my eye with water [been there] or place a hot towel over it.

Relaxation.

Again, I'm sure Fox News will do a full report, as will the Chicago Sun Times - this is, afterall, front page, headlining news.

No comments: