5.25.2006

Obsessive Compulsive Hand Washing

I cannot stop washing my hands.

I think I may have a slight compulsive tendency, not so much in the area that I perform rituals because I think my mother's going to die or God will be mad at me, but it might be a little more Howard Hughes-ish.

I notice as I'm cooking - especially with eggs - that I wash my hands every time I put the utensil down or am near the sink. But I also notice that I tend to wash my hands a lot during commercial breaks when I'm watching TV. I also have the urge to do so when a drive-through window person touches my hand when I hand over my card, which is odd because I know they're in there handling my food and it doesn't phase me.

I believe everyone knows that I have to ask every time I walk away from the car if it beeped. I still lose sleep over it. And it wasn't just with this car, my last one didn't have the key-less feature where all I had to do was press a button and feel safe about it. I used to, and still tend to, get out of bed in the middle of the night and check all the doors to make sure they're closed tightly and locked.

I also have to shower the same way every time I step in and dry off the same way wen I've finished. Brushing my teeth before a shower is a must.

Yes. I recently watched an MTV NewsDoc about OCD. But I think the thing I've noticed is that we all have our little tendencies to perform rituals throughout our everyday lives, so I know it's not the full-blown disorder. What tendencies do you have?

No comments: