11.18.2009

Reading Reading Eating Reading Eating Animals

I've finished my first sock, and I couldn't be more proud of the result!

Lovely, no?

In other news: I've started sock #2, but I haven't been working on it in the last few days because I'm frantically trying to finish reading this book:



It's alright. I've found spelling errors, some grammar issues, and it's not making me want to be a vegetarian. But it's giving me some information that I hadn't thought about before, and I find that to be interesting. I described to my hubs that I felt like this is a very smart book on Jonathan Safran Foer's behalf. He's merely writing what he researched in making the decision to raise his son vegetarian. And I feel that this book is perfect for vegetarians. They'll grab this book and eat up every word, feeling fully justified in their own personal choices. But, meat eating omnivores will have a sense of justification, too. They'll read this book, as I am, and feel that the choices that they have made can't be swayed by the author. He's going to make his money, and not have to really worry about change. Because nothing in this book is all that shocking or new.

I digress.

I'm in the throes of reading this book, because he'll be in town TONIGHT to hold a discussion and signing session! I've read his two works of fiction


and loved them!

I'm hoping he'll sign all three books tonight. And I'm hoping to finish Eating Animals before then! I'd like to be informed well enough before any discussion of the book takes place. I only have a few hours left, and about 100 pages [or so] to tear through. Wish me luck! And get out of here! You're too distracting!

I'll resume the sock tomorrow :-D

1 comment:

Patrick Rodden said...

Number one...should I read one of his books? Number two...would it count as the "S" or the "F" of my reading endeavors? Number three...would I be able to get through one of his books in one week? The thing that troubles me about this little project of mine is that it limits me to essentially 300 page books...400 max. I read fast, but work, grad school and other factors will obviously slow me down. I know I will come across some very meaningful books and some very tawdry books at the same time. C'est la vie! :)