10.24.2006

Da Do Run Run

After watching our pals run the Chicago Marathon yesterday, Chris suggested that I try running it next year. I thought to myself "sure...I'll do that...."

But now I feel a little differently about it. I decided that I'm not doing enough to benefit my health or my personal goals, so it's now a goal of mine to participate in a marathon. Not necessarily the next one Chicago holds, but at some point in my life -- I'll do it.

Ellen [DeGeneres] has been a constant advocate for creating Life Lists. I have to agree with her views. She feels that once it's written down on a piece of paper, you are more likely to complete the task for the satisfaction of crossing it off the list. People hand write their lists, laminate them, create Excel sheets for them...and everyone everywhere is constantly crossing off completed goals.

I thought this was a cute idea, at first, and something I'd never see myself doing. Now, I think it's a pretty admirable deal. I've created a life list, one that I intend to maintain and complete. Luckily, I'm only hand-writing mine, so I can always add on when I feel inclined.

For those not familiar with the concept: Create a list of accomplishments that you have always wanted to do or have great interest in. It can be two ideas long; it can be 900 ideas long. The point is to cross off these accomplishments throughout the course of your lifetime. There is no time limit. There is no age limit. No one else is responsible for crossing off your accomplishments [though they sure can help!].

I'm not saying that you, dearest reader, are required to do this...but give it a thought. I'm only 5 ideas strong right now, but one day I hope my lists will be infinite.

This is all I really have to update with at the time. Sorry if it's a little bland!

A BIG congratulations to my friend Andrew for completing the Chicago Marathon yesterday, as well as everyone who participated in the event [workers/volunteers too]. It was a blast, and I can't wait to get started!

No comments: